malin

Malin

Devourer of books with a preference for fiction. Quite good at competitive reading. Happily hoards books of all kinds. Gets stabby going too long without reading.

The Assassin and the Empire (Throne of Glass, #0.4) - Sarah J. Maas 3.5 stars

Having paid off her own and fellow assassin Sam Cortland's contracts with the King of the Assassins in Rifthold, teenage assassin Celeana Sardothien is realising that independence also means a reduced living standard, and that while love is well and good, it doesn't pay the bills.

As it's also becoming clear that their former master is persuading people against hiring them, Celeana decides to use the remains of her savings to buy them out of the Guild, so they can leave and start a new life somewhere else. Sam, sick of being a kept man, insists they take a highly dangerous contract killing two of the kingpins in the Rifthold underworld.

This is the last story before [b:Throne of Glass|13519397|Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)|Sarah J. Maas|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337978469s/13519397.jpg|11138426], and without wanting to spoil too much, I can say it doesn't end well for Celaena and Sam. There's betrayal, and pain, and heartache.

Over the course of the four novellas, Celeana has aged about a year, and become a much more likable and engaging character. If the trilogy the novellas are setting up for was about the Celeana in [b:The Assassin and the Pirate Lord|13415554|The Assassin and the Pirate Lord (Throne of Glass, #0.1)|Sarah J. Maas|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1335782612s/13415554.jpg|18721148], I doubt I would bother reading it. This girl, though, I'm interested in - and I'm hoping that over the course of the trilogy, she discovers who betrayed her and gets her revenge.